Suspension of time limits in civil matters for an additional period of 10 days
By order in council 222-2020 dated March 20, 2020, the Government of Quebec extended the declaration of a state of health emergency for a further period of 10 days, until March 29, 2020. In accordance with order no. 2020-4251 adopted jointly by the Chief Justice of Quebec and the Minister of Justice on March 15, 2020, civil procedure time limits are therefore suspended until March 29, 2020.
Consequently, throughout the period covered by order no. 2020-4251, the following, for example, are suspended: the deadline for filing notices of appeal or applications for leave to appeal as well as the time limits for filing briefs, memoranda and books of authorities in civil matters.
For urgent matters, such as confinement in an institution, child abductions, proceedings in habeas corpus, orders for treatment and other similar matters, parties are asked to contact the office of the Court of Appeal by fax or email in order to ensure that such files will continue to progress notwithstanding the suspension of civil procedure time limits.
Time limits in criminal matters
For the time being, time limits in criminal matters have not been suspended. Therefore, notices of appeal and applications for leave to appeal must be filed within the usual time limits, subject to such extensions as may be requested in accordance with the ordinary rules. In other respects, if parties believe they will not be able to meet the deadline for the filing of briefs or the documents that stand in lieu of the brief (appeal from a sentence), they are asked to send a letter by fax or an email (see the email addresses of the offices of the Court of Appeal below) in order to request an extension. Given the exceptional circumstances, the Court of Appeal will adjust time limits accordingly.
Time limits in penal matters
In accordance with order no. 2020-009 adopted by the Minister of Health and Social Services on March 23, 2020, save for matters the courts consider urgent, the following time limits provided for in the Code of Penal Procedure are suspended:
- time limit for filing an application for leave to appeal (art. 296 C.P.P.)
- time limit for filing a written appearance at the Court of Appeal (art. 303 C.P.P.)
- time limit for filing a factum and proof of its service at the office of the Court of Appeal (arts. 304 and 305 C.P.P.)
Access to the premises of the Court of Appeal
Throughout the state of health emergency, every person present at the Court must remain at a minimum distance of two metres from every other person, including at the counter of the office of the Court and in the courtrooms.
Contact information for the offices of the Court
- Office of the Court in Quebec City: Fax: 418-646-6961 or email@example.com
- Office of the Court in Montreal: Fax: 514-864-7270 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Orders in council
- To read order in council 222-2020, click on the following link: Order in council 222-2020
- To read order in council 2020-009, click on the following link: Order in council 2020-009