Court of Appeal of Quebec

How to file an appeal in civil matters

Unsatisfied with a judgment of the Court of Quebec or the Superior Court, you would like to file an appeal. It is strongly recommended that you consult a lawyer before instituting an appeal in order to verify if a right to appeal is provided by law and how to file an appeal.

There is two kind of appeal: an appeal as of right and an appeal with leave. In the first case, the appeal is initiated by filing a Notice of Appeal. In the latter case, an Application for Leave to Appeal is required and must be filed with a Notice of Appeal. A judge may then grant leave to appeal.

It is imperative to take cognizance the Code of Civil Procedure (C.C.P.) as well of the Civil Practice Regulation (C.P.R.). Everyone must act diligently, since usually, an appeal must be brought within 30 days of the date of the judgment. Specific statutes may, however, prescribe a shorter time period.